Panthers coach Ron Rivera sent a clear messag

panxing18

Panthers coach Ron Rivera sent a clear messag

Postautor: panxing18 » 6 wrz 2019, o 03:16

CHARLOTTE Stitched Christian McCaffrey Jersey , N.C. (AP)e to his players Monday: Forget about Atlanta. Rivera took only a couple questions during his press conference about his team’s uninspiring performance in a 22-10 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday before saying he was done talking about it. Rather than allow a bad New Year’s Day football hangover to linger, the two-time NFL Coach of the Year told his players it is time to move on and turn their attention to next Sunday’s NFC wild card game at New Orleans. ”The big thing that we need to do more than anything else is to move forward and get past the game we just played,” Rivera said. ”Right now that game isn’t going to do anything for us.” The Panthers had plenty of momentum entering the regular season finale having won seven of their previous eight games. Had Carolina beat Atlanta, they would have won the NFC South and had a home playoff game. Now they’re limping into the postseason and likely will have to win three in a row on the road to reach the Super Bowl. Cam Newton’s struggles in one of the worst games of his career could be cause for concern entering the postseason. Newton missed on his first eight passes against Atlanta, his throws often sailing high and wide of his intended targets and could never get on track. It hasn’t helped that the Panthers wide receiver position has been besieged by injuries, leaving Newton with a cast of no-name players . One thing is for certain: Newton and the offense will need to be on its game Sunday against the Saints. The Panthers (11-5) don’t appear to match up well with the Saints (11-5), particularly on defense where they’ve been unable to slow drew Brees and the NFC South champions. New Orleans clobbered Carolina 34-13 in Charlotte in September, then beat them again 31-21 on Dec. 3 at the Superdome to take control of the NFC South. Panthers coordinator Steve Wilks Baby Christian McCaffrey Jersey , who said he has already received interview requests for head coaching vacancies with the Giants, Colts and Lions, wants to stop the Saints running game first. Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara found gaping holes against the Panthers, helping the Saints average 148.5 yards per game on the ground along with four touchdowns in those two games. They struggled with wrapping up Kamara and getting him to the ground. ”Their running game right now is dynamic,” Wilks said. ”That is the most important thing we have to stop.” He also said the Panthers need to be physical at the line of scrimmage with the Saints receivers to throw off Brees’ timing. Brees has had a field day against Carolina too, completing 74.6 percent of his passes (47 of 63) for 465 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions. Panthers defensive end Mario Addison points to self-inflicted mistakes in the wo previous losses to New Orleans. ”It really ain’t what they’re doing, it’s really what we’re doing,” Addison said. ”It’s hard to play against a team and beat yourself at the same time. That’s what we did the first two times – we beat ourselves. It ain’t that they outplayed us Best Christian McCaffrey Jersey , because they didn’t. We just made too many mistakes.” As for the it’s-hard-to-beat-a-team-three-times theory, well, that doesn’t hold much water in the NFL. Since 1970, there have been 20 teams that went 2-0 against an opponent during the regular season before facing them again in the postseason. Thirteen times those teams completed the sweep by winning the playoff game. However, Addison said losing to Saints twice benefits the Panthers. ”We can’t let them beat us three times,” Addison said. ”You have to come out swinging and throw everything at them, including the kitchen sink.” Some help could be on the way for Carolina. Rivera said he’s optimistic that safety Kurt Coleman will be back after missing Sunday’s game with an ankle injury and running back Jonathan Stewart should return after sitting out against the Falcons with a stiff back. Also, guard Trai Turner could return if he clears the NFL concussion protocol. Turner has missed the last three games. — NEW ORLEANS (AP)Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers had a first down at the New Orleans 21 with 41 seconds left and a chance for a winning touchdown that seemed improbable when they trailed by more than two touchdowns late in the first half. That was as close as they got Adult Christian McCaffrey Jersey , prolonging a painful trend in an excruciating 31-26 loss Sunday night in the NFC wild-card round. With the Panthers in position for their first lead, Newton was called for intentional grounding, which cost 13 yards, a loss of down and a 10-second runoff. Saints safety Von Bell then sacked Newton near midfield on fourth down two plays later, assuring Carolina’s third loss to New Orleans this season. It was the fifth time the Panthers failed to reach the end zone after getting past the Saints’ 25-yard line. ”I’m frustrated,” Newton said. ”We didn’t come here just to get a shot. … We came here to win. That’s what we didn’t do.” Newton threw for 349 yards, his second highest total of the year, including a 56-yard touchdown pass to running back Christian McCaffrey that brought the Panthers within five with 4:09 to go. Newton then drove them 48 yards after safety Mike Adams intercepted Drew Brees’ pass at the Carolina 31 when the Saints gambled on fourth down just across midfield. Then the comeback bid unraveled. Newton was flagged when he avoided defensive end Cam Jordan’s rush by throwing the ball out of bounds Curtis Samuel Jersey 2019 , turning what would have been a second-and-10 into a third-and-23. The call left Panthers coach Ron Rivera upset. ”Our quarterback was out of the pocket,” he said. ”I thought there was a receiver (Devin Funchess) in the vicinity. I thought the ball was past the line of scrimmage.” Newton was more diplomatic. ”It doesn’t matter what I think, but that game didn’t come down to that” call, he said. ”We could have played better as a team. It was a (close) call either way.” Carolina had first downs at the New Orleans 15, 13, 27 and 10 in a span of five possessions and settled for four field goal attempts. Kicker Graham Gano missed the first one – a 25-yarder – and Newton went 2-for-6 with a sack in that stretch. ”I just have to be better,” he said. ”I’m not going to take the cowardly way and point somebody else out. I feel like plenty of times this year it was up to me. I do believe I am the leader of this team and the team goes as I go.” The defense did not give Newton much help for long stretches. Drew Brees threw for 376 yards, and New Orleans scored touchdowns on three consecutive series in the first half Blue Curtis Samuel Jersey , starting its run with an 80-yard touchdown strike from Brees to Ted Ginn. ”There are a couple of plays I personally would like to take back,” Panthers safety Kurt Coleman said. ”It’s frustrating. We beat the Patriots. We went toe to toe with Philadelphia. We beat Minnesota. We just didn’t go out and do what we were supposed to do.” The Panthers almost made enough plays despite falling behind 31-19 with 5:08 left. The touchdown occurred shortly after Newton had sat out a failed third-and-long play while undergoing concussion protocol. Newton took a hard hit on a sack by David Onyemata, started walking slowly off the field and then went back down in what Rivera said was an attempt to give backup Derek Anderson some extra warm-up throws. Cleared to return for the next series, Newton completed his next five passes after the injury. ”It wasn’t my head,” he said. ”It was my eye. My helmet came down low enough over my eyelid and got pressed by the player’s stomach I believe. I thought maybe somebody stuck their finger in my eye, but I have a visor, so that can’t happen.” —